*18.3 (14-minute time cap)*
2 rounds for time of:
20 overhead squats
12 ring muscle-ups
20 dumbbell snatches
12 bar muscle-ups
Men perform 115-lb. OHS, 50-lb. DB Snatches
Whether you’re planning on completing this workout Rx or scaled, it will be important to focus on your shoulder mobility and core stability prior to your movement-specific warm-up. @CrossFitTraining on Instagram posted a great muscle up and movement progression as a warm-up, so I encourage you to use that if you are planning on completing (or attempting) the muscle-ups in this workout.
Body Gears GIGs for 18.3:
- Pec Lacrosse Ball Smash with Scorpion Stretch
- Change the angles of your arm from 90 to ~145 degrees to achieve a good stretch in your overhead squat position
- Serratus and Lat Lacrosse Ball Smash
- Infraspinatus Punches 3×12
- Each side using an orange/red powerband or Crossover Symmetry
- Anchor a stretchy band to a squat rack or door at shoulder height
- Bring the arm up parallel to the ground from the side with the elbow bent so the palm faces the band
- Grasp the band and move backward until there is sufficient tension in the band
- Keep the arms parallel to the ground and the hand in line with the shoulder
- Slowly bend and straighten the elbow while resisting the band pulling the hand forward
- Abdominal Series 2×30” each
- Lie on your back and bring one leg up at a time to tabletop position.
- “Push, Cross, Pull, Push” is the order for hand placement on the thighs and direction of force application for this isometric exercise.
- To activate your core, lift your tailbone without rounding your back into the floor and slowly resist your hands pushing your thighs up and away.
- Hold each position for 30 seconds, keep breathing, and feel the abdominal muscles pulling together.
- Plank 3×10
- Begin with feet and elbows on the ground
- Raise or lower the hips to the position of maximum difficulty keeping the tailbone curled under
- Push through the elbows to engage your serratus anterior muscles
- PVC OH Squat 3×30”
- Depth holds for thoracic and overhead mobility
- Optional: Stand in the rig and place the PVC against the rig posts, pressing the PVC against the rig to assist you in gaining more length through your thoracic spine at the bottom of the squat
- 18.3 Movement-Specific Warm-Up via @CrossFitTraining
Good luck out there! And be sure to check out our Gearing Up With BodyGearsPT podcast next week on tips for recovery!
We also have a great resource to help prepare yourself for each day of the open. Check out our blog on “Preparing Yourself for the CrossFit Open” and don’t forget we will be at Clark St Crossfit for 18.5 from 6-8 pm.
As always, none of these exercises replace the expertise of a Licensed Physical Therapist. Most states allow direct access to physical therapy, so if you are experiencing an injury, it is best to seek evaluation so that you can properly prepare based off of your specific needs.
We also have Self-Pay options so you can come in and get a quick tune-up during and after the CrossFit games to keep you at your best. Give us a call at (877) 709-1090 for more information or fill out the contact us form and we will contact you.